Last October, we bought our first house, and ten months later, are still working on getting settled. I grew up in a somewhat nomadic family. We moved every 1-3 years because of my dad's work. And as far as I can remember, the only house my parents actually owned in my entire adolescence was in Arizona when I was five. So the permanence of owning property is a totally new experience.
I've always been someone who thrives on set parameters. So naturally, renting makes sense to me! When you rent, you're limited on decor, layout, even furniture because unless you have the time, creativity or financial means to completely change your surroundings with each move it's impractical. Living out of a suitcase? No problem! Planning and executing a closet remodel that fits your specific needs? Panic!
It's an uphill battle that I'm working on changing. And change it must! With the arrival of our baby girl in less than three months (Yikers!) we have a lot of home improvements that need to be addressed. Let's start with the gentlemen's room first.
On Wednesday, a lovely Amazon shipment will arrive with two twin mattresses, freeing up our crib for baby girl and ridding us of the fear of them hurting themselves climbing out of their beds. Once those are here, we have to address storage. Their dresser is also the changing table, which again will be moving to the nursery. They have a huge closet, which is awesome, but no real organization to speak of. I'm hoping to design it to be functional and praying it doesn't turn into pulling all the clothes within reach out of the closet every time they are alone in their room. We also plan on putting together a reading area. I made them big floor pillows for their birthday, and we just need to get the lumber to build them a set of shelves to proudly display their books.
Once that room is taken care of, we'll have to address the nursery. Currently, it is being used as Jason's office, my craft room and our music room. When all is said and done, it will be a well organized craft space for me and a peaceful pretty nursery for baby girl. One big problem...where do we put Jason's office and our instruments?
We're looking for outbuilding designs so Jason can have a quiet dedicated space to work from without three little ones underfoot. Whatever we decide to do, I'm not sure how quickly this project will happen because of the cost, but hopefully by next summer, he'll have a perfect space just for him. In the meantime? I'm not sure what's going to happen. Thankfully babies are small and pretty flexible about home decor.
When we start making progress, I'll share some before and after pictures. Fingers crossed it all goes well!
No comments:
Post a Comment